The Master of Arts (English Literature) programme is aimed at providing quality, in-depth postgraduate education in the field of literary studies. Courses offered in the MA programme by Coursework and Dissertation are comprehensive and range from Medieval Literature through Cultural Studies. On the whole, the MA programme is designed not only to promote a love for English Literature and Language but also to enhance and increase the scope and intensity of research among staff and students. Apart from the programme by Coursework and Dissertation, candidates can opt to pursue the degree purely by research.
a professional qualification from a recognised professional body; or
any other qualification as may be approved by the Senate from time to time.
Language Requirement: English
A non-Malaysian applicant whose degree is from a university or institution of higher learning where the medium of instruction for that degree is not the English language and where the applicant wishes to follow a programme and/or write his dissertation in the English language shall be required:
to obtain a score of 550 for a paper-based total, a score of 213 for a computer-based total or a score of 80 for an internet-based total for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
to obtain a band of 6 for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS);
(1) two (2) core courses, totalling five (5) credit hours for students who have been exempted from ACGB6115 : Critical Strategies in Literature
(2) three (3) core courses, totalling seven (7) credit hours, for students who are required to sit for ACGB6115 : Critical Strategies in Literature
(3) five (5) elective courses totalling ten (10) credit hours for students in category 2(a) and four (4) elective courses for students in category 2(b) above.
Candidates must pass Part One (1) before they are able to proceed to Part Two (2).
Courses offered are :
ACGB6116 Theories in Literature
ACGB6182 Research Methodology
*for all students except those exempted Critical Strategies in Literature
ACGB6302 Medieval Literature
ACGB6303 Renaissance Literature
ACGB6304 The Augustan Age
ACGB6305 Literature of The Romantic Age
ACGB6306 Modernist Literature
ACGB6307 Renaissance Drama
ACGB6308 Literature of Victorian Age
ACGB6309 Postmodern Literature
ACGB6310 Drama of the Modern Era
ACGB6311 American Literature
ACGB6312 Post-colonial Theory and Literature
ACGB6313 Perspectives of Malaysia and Singaporean Literature
ACGB6314 Cultural Studies : Theory and Practice
ACGB6315 From Book to Screen
ACGB6316 Stylistics in Discourse Analysis
2. Part Two (2) consists of a research project leading to a submission of a dissertation of about 30,000 words (40 credits hours).
(1) The details of the offered courses are subject to the Senate’s approval from time to time upon the recommendation of the Faculty/ Academy/ Centre/ Institute and candidates will be informed of course offerings at the beginning of each session.