UM RESEARCHERS NAMED RECIPIENTS OF 2017 ACADEMY OF SCIENCES MALAYSIA FELLOWSHIP AND TOP RESEARCH SCIENTIST MALAYSIA
This year, Academy of Sciences Malaysia (ASM) proudly conferred eight individuals from University of Malaya (UM) the ASM fellowship among 26 recipients. They are:
- Professor Ir. Dr. Ramesh Singh Kuldip Singh (Faculty of Engineering)
- Professor Dr. Lim Shen-Yang (Faculty of Medicine)
- Professor Dr. Thong Meow Keong (Faculty of Medicine)
- Datuk Emeritus Professor Dr. Shad Saleem Faruqi (Faculty of Law)
- Professor Dr. Tunku Kamarul Zaman Tunku Zainol Abidin (Faculty of Medicine)
- Professor Dr. Yvonne Lim Ai Lian (Faculty of Medicine)
- Associate Prof. Dr. Chan Kok Gan (Faculty of Science)
- Professor Dr. Rofina Yasmin Othman (Faculty of Science)
Two former professors of UM, Professor Dr. Shamala Devi K.C. Sekaran and Datin Dr. Sri Nurestri Abd Malek were also honoured with the ASM Fellowships.
Established by an Act of Parliament (ASM Act 1994), ASM taps the expertise, knowledge, wisdom and network of its Fellows to provide science, technology and innovation input to the government and stakeholders. Fellows were elected among the country’s eminent scientists, engineers and technologists.
The conferment of the ASM fellowship was made at a ceremony at Putrajaya Marriott Hotel on 2 November 2017.
The event also witnessed the announcement of the Top Research Scientists Malaysia (TRSM) to three UM researchers among 13 others. They are Professor Dr. Shaliza Ibrahim (Faculty of Engineering), Professor Ir. Dr. Mohd Azlan Hussain (Faculty of Engineering) and Professor Dr. Chua Kek Heng (Faculty of Medicine).
TRSM is an ASM initiative in line with its focus on fostering a culture of excellence in science, technology and innovation. The initiative aims to identify and recognize the leading research scientists in Malaysia.